Thursday, August 21, 2008

How am I going to get through this???

I knew a few days before school recessed last semester that I, and a few others, had been selected to participate in a cadaver class. There were only 8 of 50 individuals, who signed up, selected. This would be a once in a life-time opportunity for me and I couldn't pass that up. Needless to say, when my name was picked, it felt like i had just won the lottery. Through the summer, the cadaver class was on my mind. I was very excited; however, the second I walked into the cadaver lab today the elation of it all vastly disappeared. As my instructor was showing us the room and pulling out all the different tools we would be using, my eyes drifted to the giant freezer in the middle of the room. I think we all know what was inside there. The body came out, we unzipped the body bag, cut away the mummy wrapped gauze and exposed the body. The reality hit me that I was supposed to cut open this poor dead man and I haven't been able to come to terms with this yet. It's one thing to talk about doing something like this and another thing entirely to actually be there seeing Adam (that's what we named him) and cutting open his body. Does anyone have any comforting thoughts or motivational speeches, because I am feeling very unsure of all this now. I don't want to lose this once in a life-time chance and I am not one to give up, and I know I will end up enjoying it, but in the mean time...HELP!!

7 comments:

PinkJen said...

OK so I am not sure that their are too many thing thats anyone can say to make this all seam like it is NOT A BIG deal, but what a great experience for you and I am sure that when you are all done you will NOT have one regret..... Maybe if you thought about Adam as someone who you are going to be saving someday w your nursing experience that might help.... try and see the positive in this situation!!!! Hey most would not even make it in to the room, so for that YOU ROCK!!!!! Good luck and I hope that you enjoy the class.
Luv ya Jen

Owen and Shelly said...

Kim, maybe you should ask Rachelle. She took a cadaver class and said that she really enjoyed it. However, I'm sure that the first couple of days were kind of scary for her too. Why don't you ask her what she did, so that she wasn't freaked out.

Just from me though, I would be really freaked out too. However, I know you, and you're smart, brave, and tough. And you've been through scarier times than this. Just remember who you are, and you'll do fine. :)

Anonymous said...

Wow! That is all I can say. Way to be brave. I think the best thing to do is NOT to think about it. But, you were there and I wasn't, so that is easy to say. I can barely handle poopy diapers, so I can't imagine...Just hang in there, the semester always comes to a close.

Melanie said...

Hey- this is Jared Young's wife Melanie. Jared saw your blog off of Tyler and Marilyn's. I guess they knew each other from Merced. Anyway here a link to our blog..and Jared wanted me to add you guys as well.
http://www.foreveryoung-melanie.blogspot.com

Melanie said...

Could you give that to Owen as well. Thanks!

Chelsea and Johnny said...

I actually have no advie except to pray.....a lot. I actually wanted to ask you if you could ask Shelly to add john and i to her blog list since it's private. Only if she wants to of course. My e-mail address is chelseanugent@yahoo.com. I think thats all she needs. Hope you guys are doing well and good luck with your class. I'll be praying for you!

Melanie said...

Hey..so I forgot to leave our email with you..for Owen, can you please give those to him. Thanks again!

ctr7726@aol.com
jeep4j@aol.com